Sunday, May 25, 2008

Guest Post

~Grudgingly allowed by Strawbunny~

(Disclaimer: Before I allow this particular post out, I'd better inform anyone reading this that my sister is not the alcoholic, jelly-spiker she potrays herself to be here. At least, not usually. I'm wondering if it's going to cast my blog in a dubious light from now on though. I think I need to learn not to give in to her pestering in the future)

I'm sure everyone has been to those parties where everyone's a bit uptight with everyone else and mingle in their small little groups.
Best way to loosen everyone else up a bit: JELLY SHOTS =D

Mandarin Jellies
Ingredients:

Oranges
Jelly Powder
Caster Sugar
Orange Colouring
Thick Cream
Yellow Sprinkles

and the key ingredient:
ABSOLUT Mandarin that looks like the photo below

Method:
  1. First cut the oranges into half vertically. Scoop the insides out, and put them into a bowl (they can be used for an orange smoothie if you feel like it).
  2. Follow the instructions of your jelly powder. For the jelly powder I used, water content was 2750ml of water, but instead of that whole 2750 ml, I made do with 2 litres of water.
  3. Boil the water with the jelly powder until the it is dissolved and add caster sugar and stir until that dissolves too. Turn off the fire and stir in a 1/4 tsp of orange colouring.
  4. Wait for the jelly mixture to cool somewhat (about 20 minutes in this current Aussie weather of 15degrees)
  5. Add 600ml of absolut mandarin in and stir thoroughly.
  6. Pour the jelly into the halved-orange skins and any other jelly moulds you'd like to use. For my party, I used ice-cube trays and shot-glasses. Ensure the orange moulds are as full as possible. Use a muffin tray to stabilise the orange moulds if you have to.
  7. Chill overnight, or until jelly is set and cut the orange into slices.



For the decoration, I opted for whipped cream and yellow sprinkles. Just put thickened cream into a bowl and mix it with sugar until it is stiff. I've got a major sweet tooth so I used plenty of sugar. It really depends on your preference though. Use a piping bag and pipe it on top of the jelly and sprinkle yellow sprinkles and wah-lah! You're done =D
(In absence of a real piping bag, i used a sandwich bag and cut a small hole in the corner)

All remaining whipped cream was kept for guests who wanted additional cream on their jellies.

Normal jelly can be replaced with Konnyaku jelly (minus the vodka) for a similarly beautiful dessert, guaranteed to be the hit of any party.

Fyi, i know strawbunny is going to insist i'm an alcoholic but i'm really far from it. Promise.

may the force be with jelly desserts.. with a twist,
Cheers~

3 comments:

Strawbunny said...

~*$!@#?~
{ makes disgruntled Strawbunny sounds }

Anonymous said...

lol..

| j-ann* | said...

hahaaa, i told you you didn't need to post it =p

i just wanted to write something somewhere.. lol !