Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Carrot Cake Murder


It's not that I've suddenly turned morbid, but this is actually the title of a book. And I can prove it, so there! Amazingly I spotted this book on the library shelf just after I'd made the culprit on its front cover, so I knew I had to blog this. I haven't read the book at all by the way.

Fresh from the oven

This is probably among my favouritest cakes on my cakes-to-bake list. Which is a little surprising considering I usually detest carrots. As in Hate with a capital 'H'. However, I have been convinced to forego any homicidal thoughts towards those evil orange veges ever since the carrot cake redeemed them.

The combined ingredients make for a really moist bite with some added texture thrown in by the pineapple and walnuts within. Yummm. It can be made with cream cheese on top but I opted not to so I could convince myself I wasn't wreaking havoc on my diet.

The recipe I have is from my friend Sue Ann, so all the credit for how good it tastes should go to her=)

My slice of cake posing prettily

Carrot Cake (with Cream Cheese Frosting)

Ingredients

Cake
3 cups grated carrots
2 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder
¾ cup walnuts/pecans
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon

4 eggs
½ cup oil
1 ¼ tsp vanilla

1 can crushed pineapple


Frosting
3 ½ cup icing sugar
225mg cream cheese
1 ¼ tsp vanilla
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)


Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.

  2. In a large bowl, combine grated carrots, flour, white sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt & cinnamon.

  3. Stir in eggs, oil, 1 ¼ tsp vanilla, pineapple & ¾ cup chopped pecan/walnuts. Spoon batter into pan.

  4. Bake in preheated oven for 30-40mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.

  5. Frosting – In a medium bowl, combine icing sugar, cream cheese, ½ cup butter & 1 ¼ tsp vanilla. Beat till smooth, then stir in chopped nuts. Spread on cooled cake.




As a note to the terrorist bear-bear: I know you're disappointed that I would ever stoop to the level of eating the forbidden vege. Therefore, I will need to convert you to my cause by baking this cake for you the next time I visit.
May the Force be with you

No comments: